(325) 643-1475
Serving Brownwood and
Surrounding Texas Counties
HomeAttorney ProfileTestimonialsFamily LawFAQsContact Us
Less than 10% of attorneys in Texas have earned this distinction. Learn the importance of this qualification.
Find out why the Law Office of Nita Meador is the right choice for your family and how we can help!
We will guide you through the entire process and offer the best advice for your situation.
You will never have to wonder where your case stands. We provide fantastic customer service & communication.
Child Custody
Child Support
Pre- and Post-Marital Agreements
Protective Orders
Same-Sex Marriage in Texas
Contact Us
Send info
Serving the Following Areas
  • Brown County
  • Coleman County
  • Comanche County
  • Mills County

Relocation Lawyer in Brownwood

Moving away after a divorce? Protect your best interests!

Relocating to a new city or state after a divorce may not be a simple process. If a child custody order, child support order, or other such court order was issued in your divorce, you may need to have it modified in order to move away without violating the terms of your court order. Moving a long distance can impose on the other parent's visitation or joint custody rights, and can also affect your ability to pay or receive support.

The Law Office of Nita Meador can help you get a court order modified so that you are able to relocate as necessary. If substance abuse or mental health and stability are an issue, a child psychologist or family welfare professional may be necessary to prepare the strongest case possible. Whether you are the one wanting to relocate or the one fighting a relocation application, an attorney can help you protect your rights and your child's best interests.

Suits Affecting Parent-Child Relationships

Suits affecting parent-child relationships (SAPCR), which include paternity and termination proceedings, are lawsuits in which requests are made regarding the appointment of a managing or possessory conservator (custodial parent); access to or support of a child; the establishment of paternity; or the termination of the parent-child relationship. There are no issues decided by a family law court more important than issues regarding your children. Each case has unique circumstances and is best discussed with your attorney.

How to Modify a Court Order

Some final orders can be modified depending on the circumstances. The most common modifications are to who determines the primary residence of the children, increases or decreases to child support payments, and terms of possession and access to the child by the non-custodial parent. Any provisions in a previous order affecting the child, not specifically changed in the modification proceeding, usually remain in full force and affect. You need to be sure that you discuss with your attorney any and all issues of your previous order that need modification.

There are two ways to modify a court order. The first is to have the two parties agree upon their own modification and then present their agreement before a judge to be entered. The other way is to take the case to court and have a judge make the final decision. In disputed cases, it is vital to retain an experienced lawyer to help you present a strong argument proving that the modification is necessary due to your change in circumstance. The Law Office of Nita Meador in Brownwood has handled all types of family law cases for over 25 years, including modifications of Final Decrees of Divorce and other types of family law orders.

Contact a Divorce and Family Law Attorney in Brownwood, TX

Attorney Nita Meador has focused her legal practice on family law alone for more than 25 years. If you are in need of excellent counsel or representation in a modification case, the Law Office of Nita Meador can help. The law office provides the highest quality customer service and focuses on excellent communication from start to finish. Together, Attorney Meador and her trained staff can offer you the support you need throughout your case. Contact the office today to obtain counsel from a Brownwood family lawyer that you can trust! The Law Office of Nita Meador is proud to offer services to all of Brown County and the surrounding areas.

Contact Us
(325) 643-1475
- Brownwood Family Law Attorney
909 Main Street Brownwood, TX 76801 View Map