(325) 643-1475
Serving Brownwood and
Surrounding Texas Counties
HomeAttorney ProfileTestimonialsFamily LawFAQsContact Us
Less than 10% of attorneys in Texas have earned this distinction. Learn the importance of this qualification.
Find out why the Law Office of Nita Meador is the right choice for your family and how we can help!
We will guide you through the entire process and offer the best advice for your situation.
You will never have to wonder where your case stands. We provide fantastic customer service & communication.
Child Custody
Child Support
Pre- and Post-Marital Agreements
Protective Orders
Same-Sex Marriage in Texas
Contact Us
Send info
Serving the Following Areas
  • Brown County
  • Coleman County
  • Comanche County
  • Mills County

Marital Property & Asset Protection in Texas

Premarital Agreements

A premarital agreement is a legal agreement between prospective spouses that is made before their marriage and that becomes effective on the date of the marriage. This agreement is designed to protect the assets and property of each individual in the case of a future divorce. The agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties in order to be recognized as valid.

Premarital agreements are binding with respect to each spouse's rights and obligations in the property of either spouse, including the right to buy, sell, use, transfer, exchange, abandon, lease, consume, expend, assign, create a security interest, mortgage, encumber, dispose of, or otherwise manage and control property. They may also affect the disposition of property upon divorce or death and may affect the making of a will. These are just some of the issues involved. A premarital agreement can have far-reaching effects and should be discussed with an attorney prior to entering into the agreement.

Post-Marital Agreements

Post-marital agreements usually take the form of a "Partition or Exchange Agreement." At any time, spouses may partition or exchange between themselves all or part of their community property, whether currently existing or acquired in the future, as the spouses may desire. Property interest transferred to a spouse under such an agreement becomes the spouse's separate property. Spouses may also agree to convert separate property to community property. The agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties. As mentioned before, marital agreements are very complex and should be discussed with an attorney beforehand.

Agreement Incident to Divorce or Annulment

To promote amicable settlement of disputes in a suit for divorce or annulment, the spouses may enter into a written agreement concerning the issues. If the court finds that the terms of the written agreement are just and right, those terms are binding. The agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties. It is important to consult a family law attorney before entering into such an agreement, because the details are complex and the consequences can be quite serious.

Hire a Brownwood Family Law Attorney

Nita Meador has over 25 years of experience and she only practices family law. She and her trained support staff will keep in constant communication with you throughout your case and will help you make the best decisions to protect your assets before or after marriage. Contact the Law Office of Nita Meador right away for the counsel and guidance you need in order to draft a strong and thorough marital agreement.

Contact Us
(325) 643-1475
- Brownwood Family Law Attorney
909 Main Street Brownwood, TX 76801 View Map