(325) 643-1475
Serving Brownwood and
Surrounding Texas Counties
HomeAttorney ProfileTestimonialsFamily LawFAQsContact Us
Less than 10% of attorneys in Texas have earned this distinction. Learn the importance of this qualification.
Find out why the Law Office of Nita Meador is the right choice for your family and how we can help!
We will guide you through the entire process and offer the best advice for your situation.
You will never have to wonder where your case stands. We provide fantastic customer service & communication.
Child Custody
Child Support
Pre- and Post-Marital Agreements
Protective Orders
Same-Sex Marriage in Texas
Contact Us
Send info
Serving the Following Areas
  • Brown County
  • Coleman County
  • Comanche County
  • Mills County

Family Law Attorney in Brownwood

Over 25 Years of Focused Family Law Experience in Brown County

The Law Office of Nita Meador has handled all types of family law cases and has focused solely on family law for more than 25 years. Attorney Nita Meador is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a process that requires extensive focus, testing, and experience. She is also the only attorney in Brown County with a Family Law certification by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Anyone in need of counsel and representation in a family law case can find an excellent Brownwood family law attorney at the Law Office of Nita Meador. The staff has handled all types of cases, including the following:

Are you looking to adopt a child? Adoption is a very complicated process, so there is extensive paperwork that must be completed in order to transfer legal guardianship from the child's current parent(s) or guardian(s) to you. Nita Meador can help you with the adoption of a new child into your family.

Child Custody
In Texas, custody is most often referred to as conservatorship in the law. When two parents get divorced, one or both of the parents can have custody. You can come to your own custody agreement with the other parent and have your agreement entered by a family law judge, or you can fight for custody at trial. Custody or conservatorship can be modified at a later date only if there is a substantial change in circumstances. It is to your benefit to retain a family law attorney.

Child Support
As the custodial parent, you and your child deserve to receive fair support from the other parent. On the other hand, supporting parents should not be required to pay more support than they can afford or than their child needs. This law office can help you with your child support order.

Attorney Nita Meador is a Board Certified Family Law attorney and can help you reach a divorce agreement through negotiation, mediation, or litigation for a fair settlement. Divorce is multi-faceted and involves custody, support and property issues, so be sure to retain a lawyer with the experience that you need.

Pre- and Post-Marital Agreements
Protect your assets before or after marriage by drafting a pre-marital or post-marital agreement. Nita can help you draft a strong and detailed agreement to ensure that your assets are protected in case of a future divorce or separation.

Protective Orders
Are you or your child endangered by an abusive spouse? This law office can help you get a court-ordered protective order in place while you sort out your divorce or other family law matter. With help from a lawyer, you can take steps to protect yourself and your family immediately as well as in the future.

Do you need to move away, but cannot do so without violating the terms of a court order? Attorney Meador can help you obtain a court order modification due to your change in circumstances. She looks out for each client's best interests and can build a strong case on your behalf.

Understanding Family Law Terminology

Family law matters generally involve some or all of a set of basic procedural steps and processes. The section below provides a brief description of some of the common terminology that a client might encounter during a family law case.

Original Petitions - Any kind of case usually starts by filing an "original petition or motion" with the Court, i.e. an "Original Petition for Divorce," "Petition to Modify Parent-Child Relationship," "Motion for Enforcement," "Original Petition for Adoption," "Original Petition to Terminate the Parent-Child Relationship," etc. The document informs the court what kind of action is sought, any grounds the party may have for the cause of action, and what the party wants the court to award in regard to children and / or property. Concurrent with the filing of the original petition, a party may ask for Temporary Orders, Temporary Restraining Orders, and / or a Protective Order.

Temporary Orders - These orders are issued by the court to place controls upon the situation during the pendency of the case. Depending on the kind of case, the court may issue temporary orders that affect the relationship of the parties; the parties' financial affairs (who pays what debts, has access to what bank accounts, etc.); conservatorship (custody) and possession and access of the children; who gets to have exclusive use of the parties' residence, vehicles and other property; financial support (child support and / or spousal support); and other issues as needed while the case is pending.

Some courts have what is referred to as a "Standing Order." This Standing Order automatically goes into effect when a family law case is filed and puts in place some controls during the pendency of the proceeding. However, the Standing Order cannot start child support, temporary spousal support, or decide who will determine the primary residence of the children or have exclusive use of property. Some courts require you to go to "mediation" prior to a hearing on Temporary Orders.

Discovery - This is a general term that is used for a number of legal devices designed to gather information needed to complete your case. Discovery is sometimes an informal process of exchanging documents or information between the parties' attorneys. Often, discovery becomes a formal process in which information is obtained under specific time deadlines and other requirements of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure through some of the following tools:

  • "Interrogatories" are written questions directed to the other party. Each side is allowed one set of questions calling for 25 answers. Notice that the rule refers to answers and not questions. This is to prevent the other side from issuing 25 questions with multiple subparts which might require 40 or 50 answers.
  • "Request for Production" is a device used to obtain documents, i.e., bank statements, payroll information, retirement information. Upon request, the other party must provide to you any records that you have requested for inspection and photocopying, unless they have a valid objection.
  • "Disclosures" seek very basic information that has to be provided to the other party upon request, i.e., names of persons with relevant information pertaining to the case, expert witnesses, witness statements, etc. The questions you can ask in disclosure are set by law.
  • "Deposition" is a party's testimony under oath. The party will be asked questions by the opposing attorney, and the questions and answers may be recorded by an official court reporter or some other means such as videotape or audiotape. There is little difference between testimony at a deposition and testimony in the courtroom except that there is no judge presiding. The most common reasons for the opposing counsel to take a deposition are:
  • They want to find out what facts you have actual knowledge of and what documents you have in your possession regarding the issues in your lawsuit.
  • They are interested in what your story is now and what it is going to be at the trial. They want you to testify to a specific story so that you will have to tell the same story at the trial and they will know in advance what your story is going to be.
  • Your testimony given in a deposition may be read at trial. They hope to catch you in a lie or omission because if they were to do so, they can claim at the trial that you are not a truthful person and, therefore, your testimony should not be believed on any of the points, particularly the crucial ones.
  • A deposition may be used to narrow the issues in your case and determine what relief you are seeking. Stipulations of fact and other agreements may be made during the course of the deposition, which could substantially shorten the trial.

Mediation - This is a process where both parties and their attorneys meet in a neutral setting to discuss their differences and attempt to resolve the case. The process is controlled by a trained mediator who may or may not be a lawyer. The mediator's task is to help the parties settle the case. Although mediation is a required process in some courts, there is no requirement that the parties reach an agreement - each party is free to walk away at the end of mediation and request a trial setting. Even if the court does not require mediation, the parties can still mediate their case if they so desire.

Trial & Post Trial - If the case cannot be settled, then it will be set for trial. Trial is often expensive, stressful, and risky. Trials can be held before the court, or certain issues may be tried before a jury upon request. Whether there is a settlement agreement or a trial, a Final Decree of Divorce or other Final Order is drafted at the conclusion of the case. This document spells out how the issues in your case were resolved.

Depending on the type of case, this document may set out who will determine the primary residence of the child, receive child support, the amount of child support, possession and access by the non-custodial parent, who gets what property, how a previous order will be enforced and various other issues as needed. The decisions regarding children can usually be modified in the future, depending on changes in circumstances. The decisions in a Final Decree regarding property issues are usually final, except in rare circumstances which you would need to discuss with your attorney on a case-by-case basis.

Appeals - If there has been a procedural error in the trial, the trial court abused its discretion, or if the ruling of the court was not equitable or not in the best interests of the children, you can file a motion for new trial, or begin an appeal. You have a very short time period in which do this. Filing an appeal is complex, often lengthy, and should not be taken lightly. The appeals process involves several steps and has very specific timelines. A brief is required that must be clearly written and specify the legal points on which the original decision should either be overturned or upheld. Consult an attorney to discuss whether you have grounds for an appeal.

Texas Family Law Statutes & Online Resources

Chapters for each of the following topics can be found on the Texas Constitution and Statutes website:

  • Texas Family Code
  • Texas Property Code
  • Texas Rules of Civil Procedure
  • Texas Rules of Evidence
  • Civil Practice and Remedies Code

More information can also be found on the family law section of the Texas State Bar's website, or on the Attorney General Texas Child Support website.

Contact a Brownwood Divorce and Family Lawyer

The Law Office of Nita Meador is prepared to offer the counsel and skilled representation that you need to navigate your divorce or other family law case. Nita works directly with each client and offers a level of accessibility that is hard to find. Contact the office right away to discuss your options and retain a capable Brownwood family law attorney to handle your case.

Contact Us
(325) 643-1475
- Brownwood Family Law Attorney
909 Main Street Brownwood, TX 76801 View Map