(325) 643-1475
Serving Brownwood and
Surrounding Texas Counties
HomeAttorney ProfileTestimonialsFamily LawFAQsContact Us
Less than 10% of attorneys in Texas have earned this distinction. Learn the importance of this qualification.
Find out why the Law Office of Nita Meador is the right choice for your family and how we can help!
We will guide you through the entire process and offer the best advice for your situation.
You will never have to wonder where your case stands. We provide fantastic customer service & communication.
Child Custody
Child Support
Pre- and Post-Marital Agreements
Protective Orders
Same-Sex Marriage in Texas
Contact Us
Send info
Serving the Following Areas
  • Brown County
  • Coleman County
  • Comanche County
  • Mills County

Family Law FAQ

Divorce and Family Attorney in Brownwood, TX

The Law Office of Nita Meador can provide the counsel and representation that you need for any family law matter. Attorney Meador has been in practice for 25 years and focuses exclusively on divorce and family law. She and her staff are more than capable of handling your family law case and will provide you with the caring support and skilled representation that you need in order to get the best possible results.

What does "Board Certified" mean?
In Texas, if an attorney is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, it means that the attorney has a) sufficient experience in family law to qualify to be submitted for consideration for certification by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization; b) been successfully peer-reviewed by other attorneys and judges who practice in the attorney's area; and c) passed a test designed to determine if the attorney has achieved a level of knowledge and expertise in family law sufficient to qualify him or her for certification.

Does it matter who files the divorce first?
There are slight procedural advantages to filing first; for one thing, the person who brings the case first gets to present their case to the court first, and sometimes first impressions are lasting impressions.

Do I have to prove fault of the other spouse to get a divorce?
No. You do not have to show fault to get a divorce in Texas, but if there is fault such as adultery, for example, it can sometimes be a factor in court depending on the circumstances.

How long will it take to finalize my divorce?
A minimum of 60 days. Texas law requires that the couple wait 60 days after the date that the divorce petition is filed to finalize the divorce. How long any individual case takes to resolve depends on many factors. Some courts require a divorce case to go to trial fairly quickly. Other courts are slower. Perhaps the typical divorce lasts 6 months, though some cases are resolved quicker and others take longer.

What does a divorce cost?
The cost depends on several factors: whether you and your spouse can reach an agreement regarding the property division and children; how long the case has to be litigated before that agreement is reached; whether temporary orders are necessary; whether a trial is necessary; whether discovery is conducted; and how reasonable your spouse and your spouse's attorney are (or are not) throughout the process. Of course, your lawyer's hourly rate may affect the cost, but failing to have the right attorney for the case will ultimately prove much more expensive.

My ex-spouse is paying too little child support for how much he or she makes. Can I get the amount of child support increased?
To modify the amount of child support (either to increase or decrease the amount ordered), one of two things must be proven in court; either, a) you can show that the circumstances of the child or a person affected by the order have materially and substantially changed since the date the order was signed, or b) it has been 3 years since the order was signed and the monthly amount of the child support award under the order differs by either 20 percent or $100 from the amount that would be awarded in accordance with the child support guidelines. Most cases will fall under the 3-year category, and so whether or not the child support can be modified becomes primarily a question of math.

At what age can a child decide with whom they want to live?
The Court, not the child, is the ultimate judge of where the child's primary residence will be, however the Judge (in a non-jury trial) will, upon request, interview a child 12 years of age or older and may interview a child under 12 years of age to determine the child's wishes as to who the child lives with primarily. A Motion to Modify must be filed with the Court before the Court can modify its prior order. Although a mature child's wishes are sometimes very persuasive to the court, the child's preference is not binding, as the court will attempt to make a decision which is in the child's best interest (which is not always what the child wants).

What is common law marriage?
There are two ways people can form a common law marriage:

  • They sign a Declaration of Marriage under Tex. Fam. Code § 2.402 (this is pretty rare); or
  • The man and woman agreed to be married and, after the agreement, they lived together in this state as husband and wife and represented themselves to others as married

If you are married under common law and you no longer wish to be married to your common law spouse you will need a divorce. If a divorce from a common law marriage is not brought within two years after the parties separate, then there is a rebuttable presumption that there was no common law marriage. Note that the presumption is rebuttable which effectively creates an informal but not absolute statute of limitations for common law marriages.

Why do lawyers require upfront retainer fees?
The short answer to this question is to make sure that they are paid. Lawyers practice law because they like the challenge, as well as to make a living. Like you, they have bills to pay, and they go to work to trade their time and expertise for compensation. They also have employees to pay and office overhead. The retainer ensures that the attorney is compensated for his or her efforts.

How is property divided in Texas?
The starting point is that the Court presumes that all the property of the marriage is community property, and if you have separate property you have to prove it by tracing it with "clear and convincing evidence." Separate property is generally property that a spouse owned prior to marriage, inherited either before or during the marriage, or received as a gift. The Court divides the property in a "just and right manner." What does this mean? In some cases, it means a 50/50 split. In other cases, factors such as unequal earning power and fault in the marital relationship can affect the division of property.

Can I get alimony?
Although getting temporary spousal support (while the divorce is pending) is common, it is more difficult to get post-divorce alimony or "spousal maintenance." However, you can get post-divorce spousal maintenance if you qualify. There are several factors involved which would need to be discussed before alimony can be established. In some cases, alimony is a negotiated matter.

Do grandparents have rights in Texas?
Although the law in this area seems to always be in flux, generally, under the Texas Family Code, a grandparent can get access (limited visitation) with a grandchild only in certain, very limited circumstances. Grandparent custody of a child is allowed under the Texas Family Code only if the grandparents have "standing" and the parents' consent, as well as under other unusual circumstances.

What is mediation?
Mediation is a process during which a neutral third party communicates with the parties involved in a conflict either together or separately. The purpose of mediation is to identify with each known party the issues in dispute and possible solutions, and to encourage and facilitate communication, reconciliation, settlement and understanding between the parties. Most judges require the parties to go to mediation to attempt to settle their case before they will allow the parties to have a final hearing in the case.

Contact the Law Office of Nita Meador

Please call the office to schedule an appointment to discuss your unique legal needs. If you have questions about one or more of the issues on this page, let Nita's staff help you find the answers. Attorney Meador offers in-person, face-to-face consultations. Ethical rules prevent her and her staff from giving out legal advice on the phone or over email to new or prospective clients. If you are a resident of Brown County or any of the surrounding areas, then please contact our office as soon as you can!

Contact Us
(325) 643-1475
- Brownwood Family Law Attorney
909 Main Street Brownwood, TX 76801 View Map